REBOL Design Objectives for Computer Scientists
Here's a quick summary of the REBOL Language design objectives for those of you who are computer scientists. Everyone else can skip to the next section.
- Very clean denotational semantics.
- Very clean syntax, no keywords, minimal punctuation.
- Symbolic programming methods.
- Functional language techniques.
- Context dependent grammars: dialects, domain specific languages.
- Meta-circular (it's its own meta language)
- Lexically rich: many built-in types and representations.
- Prototypical objects, not classes.
- Consistent polymorphic datatype functions.
- Untyped, multi-typed, and strongly typed variables.
- Definitional binding and rebinding.
- First class datatypes.
- Wide range of standard built-in functions (no import needed).
- Embedded documentation.
- Efficient execution and memory usage.
- Extremely small footprint.
For more details, see REBOL Overview for Scientists, Engineers, Professors, Programmers