Comments on: REBOL Forum on Google Groups
A few people have suggested that we try Google Groups for the REBOL forum.
We're not so sure (yet). Let's give it a quick test drive for a week or so. If you would like to try it, here's what to do:
- Click on google groups.
- Type REBOL in the search field.
- Click on the REBOL related group link (while trying to ignore the ancient Larry Wall comment from 1999 that I think he deeply regrets - hey, what ever happened to old Larry Wall anyway?)
- Optionally click on the "View titles only" link on the right side of the page.
- Now pick a topic to read and you're off and running.
The advantages of using Google Groups are:
- Provides easy public access via the web.
- Can handle messages via email.
- Requires an account to post messages.
- Indexed by Google (but only under Groups).
- It is free. We don't have to manage it.
The disadvantages are:
- The Google Group interface design is not the best.
- Feels pretty "klunky" compared to something like AltME or email.
- Will be slow on low speed connections (web pages vs altme messages).
- Does not get indexed by main Google search engine.
- It's not managed by a REBOL-friendly provider. Meaning, it could simply vanish along with all its messages if Google decided that group hosting is not worth supporting.
- It's not written in REBOL. Yet.
So, be sure to tell us about your experience on Google Groups.
In fact, post your message to the REBOL group in the "Is this a viable ML alternative?" started by Gregg Irwin. (I would give you the URL link, but it's pretty long and ugly.)
Post a Comment:
You can post a comment here. Keep it on-topic.